Saturday 26 November 2016

ENGLAND JOURNAL VI

Cloudy bright day. Was to meet godson HR for burger in Hammersmith. However still feeling very punk - cramps all night. This bug, whatever it is still has not passed off. General soreness and fatigue.

Jen off to Fortnum's then to meet NR in Kensington. I am staying in trying to recover. We are off to Ely tomorrow and don't wish to be this unwell. I shall soft peddle food today - eat very light. Last night's meal may have been too much for my system.

I do love the library here - I often work in the "silence library' - quiet, and clam atmosphere.


The Silence Library at O&C LONDON
There is a very elderly and frail gentleman I see around the club at weekends. I first encounter him in the morning bar having a coffee and reading a paper - this morning it was the FT. I also see him in the library and later in the day in the drawing room having an early tea.

I suspect the club is his haunt, particularly on weekends. Likely he has no family or not much family and the club is a life for him. I could think of worse ways to spend my declining years.

So last dinner at Club tonight. Bar populated by some at times typical colonial yobs - Oxford clearly. they can afford the fees but have none of the required poise or sophistication.

In the dining room a mixed crowed - some very polished Italians and then the provincial couple in from the provinces for some shopping and dinner at the club - the slightly overweight and not entirely attractive daughter in tow...

And so ends the visit to the O&C.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics