Wednesday 16 October 2013

CAMBRIDGE STORY CONTINUED...

PREVIOUSLY:

Settled with a cup of nice china black came a knocking at his door and Shawn burst in.
“Where is my tea and toast little one”?
“Tea is on the table pour yourself a cup and you might be a useful guest and put in two pieces of toast for us”!
“Demanding aren’t we you little bugger”!
“I’m not the bugger – you are Shawn remember who seduced me”.
“Ha yes – and like you were unwilling to be taken advantage of…”
“Well I am now – and don’t forget it so please make the toast”.
“Yes, yes - oh mighty master…”

Shawn poured his tea and took two slices of the bread that Peter had cut and popped them into the toaster.  As he was pouring milk into his tea he noticed the heavy cream coloured envelope on the table near the teapot.

“And prey what might this be? A billet-doux perhaps from the fair Claire?” Shawn asked as he held up the envelope.

 
“It’s a cream coloured envelope – Shawn as you can well see’.
“And pray what might this ‘cream coloured envelope’ contain”?
“Precisely none of your business and as it hasn’t been opened how would I know what it contains”?
“So then Peter might it not be best to crack it open to see what surprise it might contain?”
“Perhaps I shall when you finish your tea and toast and depart”.

Just then the toast popped up and both Peter and Shawn set about buttering toast and applying liberal amounts of jam. After they were well settled with tea and toast Shawn ventured to raise the question of the envelope again.

“So is this from Claire do you suppose?”
“Well since it is addressed to me and from the crest on the back appears to be from Newnham and as I don’t know many women from Newnham I suppose there is a great likelihood it might be.”
“Well then for christ’s sake why haven’t you opened it and satisfied my curiosity”?
“Because I just received it. I have no interest in satisfying your curiosity or satisfying anything else for you so don’t get any ideas.”
“And here I had this morning woody that needs attention!”
“Forget it!”
“OK – so at least open the damn envelope and share the good news”.



CONT.



Just then the toast popped up and both Leandor and Shawn set about buttering toast and applying liberal amounts of jam. After they were well settled with tea and toast Shawn ventured to raise the question of the envelope again.
“So is this from Claire do you suppose?”
“Well since it is addressed to me and from the crest on the back appears to be from Newnham and as I don’t know many women from Newnham I suppose there is a great likelihood it might be.”
“Well then for Christ’s sake why haven’t you opened it and satisfied my curiosity”?
“Because I just received it. I have no interest in satisfying your curiosity or satisfying anything else for you so don’t get any ideas.”
“And here I had this morning woody that needs attention!”
“Forget it!”
“OK – so at least open the damn envelope and share the good news”.
Leandor thought for a moment as he ran his fingers over the heavy envelope. “Oh what the hell.” He thought and reached for the paper knife he had taken from the UL. He quickly sliced open the envelope. Hesitating slightly he pulled the folded sheet from the envelope and read it.
“Well!” intoned Shawn with some irritation. “Am I going to told what it says?”
Leandor let out a sigh and read the note aloud to Shawn.
“Dear Leandor, How absolutely lovely to have your note and invitation. My father has told me everything about you. I almost feel as if I know you. I know we will be really close friends. Yes please, I would love to have dinner with you at the Garden House as you suggest. Will you come by Newnham or shall I meet you there?”
“It is signed – Affectionately, Claire with three X’s under her name!”
There was a pause and silence – Leandor could feel the tension in the room and the smoldering resentment in Shawn’s eyes. “Ugh.” He thought to himself.
“Look she is just one of those types that emote way too much for no real reason,” he said in an effort to soothe Shawn’s feelings.
“Oh really? Is that what you think Leandor?  Is that what you really get form her note?” There was an edge to Shawn’s voice but also an undertone of resignation. It was as if he could feel Leandor slipping away from him. 
Shawn said with an almost facetious tone: “I think, Leandor, that you are her next conquest! A girl like that does not have friends she has lovers and lots of them. She must be looking for a new distraction!”
“Well we shall see!” replied Leandor. “I might have something to say about that”.
They finished their toast in silence.
“More tea?” asked Shawn in a more level voice.
“Yes please.” replied Leandor. “I thought you would never ask.”
“Do you want me to add some hot water?” inquired Shawn.
“No it should have steeped a good deal and I like a good "Sargent Major’s brew.”
“And I like you despite your being stupid about this Claire bitch!”
“Oh stop already! You don’t know that she is a bitch.”
Shawn did not reply but poured Leandor’s tea. He put the pot down and proceeded to sit in Leandor’s lap and put his arms around his neck. He was there only the briefest time when he pushed off and remarked.
“Wow boy! What is this? Is it me or thinking of your dinner with the bitch giving you the woody?”
Shawn playfully grabbed Leandor’s sex through his jeans.
“Oh don’t start that please! It is only I need to have a slash and it got hard,”
“Ya sure. Well go have your slash and if that doesn’t fix it I’ll be here waiting with an alternative solution.”
Leandor got up and went out to the bathroom on the lower landing.
After relieving himself he made his was slowly up the stairs to his set. When he entered his room he saw Shawn lying back in the sofa reading the note from Claire.
“Didn’t anyone ever tell you it is impolite to read other people’s post?”
“Sorry mate I was just musing about the subtext. What is she saying here – really, especially given her history.”
“Since when did you become the literary scholar?”
“Since I have been reading Foucault and Derrida. You should look into them – they might help you in your courtship with the bitch.”
“Shawn! I am not courting her and you don’t know she is a bitch…”
“We or rather you will see little one. She was with Howard from John’s and frankly treated him like crap when she no longer wished to be with him. She has done this again and again to a lot of guys. I am telling you, - no warning you, Leandor, she has a reputation. What makes you think you will be different?”
“Because as I said I am not courting her, I am not in love with her, I am simply meeting her for dinner as my dad requested. I am only being polite nothing more…”
“In any case breckers is over and I need to do some reading,,, so you are free to leave.”
“Ok fine – do let me know how your first date goes.”
Leandor grabbed a pillow off the sofa and chucked it at Shawn’s head as he made his way to the door. It caught Shawn square between the shoulders.
“Nice Leandor – careful or you might find yourself over my knee and you trousers and pants at your ankles…” With that remark he left closing the door nosily behind himself.

TO BE CONTINUED


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics